Sunday 16 August 2009

A Vintage Treasure

Last year for my birthday, I was given the most fabulous gift of a vintage wooden sewing box. It sits in our lounge and I see it everyday. Every now and again, I open its lid and get all of its contents out, just to look at. I found myself doing this the other day and thought you might like to take a peek too.

I love the picture on the box's lid. It's a little worn, but you can still make out people in their finery attending some sort of soiree.

The top layer holds all sorts of bits and bobs, from thread and needles, to the box's original keys.

Take out the little shelf and underneath is a space for bigger things, including this cigar tin with old buttons, bits of tailor's chalk and other sewing paraphernalia.

I love buttons, so to find this card of linen ones in the bottom of my sewing box was a real treat. They're still as clean and bright as the day they were made!

Tucked right at the bottom of the box is this gorgeous book of nursery rhymes featuring...

...'Old King Cole'...

...and 'Here We Go 'Round the Mulberry Bush'.

I think in time I'll add my own bits and pieces to the box, but at the moment I like the thought of someone else having stashed these things inside the little wooden box, ready to use when they needed them.

3 comments:

The fabric of my life said...

What a wonderful present Katie, how lucky you are. I adore old sewing boxes and the lovely treasures you can find within.

Cowboys and Custard Mercantile said...

A beautiful box of treasures.. I think it probably has a very evocative scent too.. as these old boxes often do.
I inherited my grandmother's sewing box from Belgium.. it has her name engraved in the wood. A very special heirloom..

Michele x

Poppy said...

Beautiful! I have got my Nan’s old sewing machine and lots of other sewing bits that belonged to her, I love things that have got history. I just wish I could make some of the beautiful things that my Nan made with the sewing machine.
I can see why you love the sewing box…love Lou xxx