Tuesday 1 December 2009

Treasure Seeking

So, here we are, the first day of December. Can Christmas really only be 24 days away?! I love this time of year...finding gifts for friends and family, Christmas lights twinkling in the dark evenings and the excuse to watch 'White Christmas' for the umpteenth time. The festive season just wouldn't be the same without Bing Crosby!

I've been finding all sort of 'treasure' over the last few weeks and thought I'd show you some of my spoils...

As Mr Treasure and some of his friends spent Saturday demolishing our conservatory (to be honest, it was more a lean-to than a conservatory!), I thought I'd escape the noise and mud and pop along to a house sale I'd spotted just up the road from us. As soon as I saw this painting, I knew it had to come home with me! It's dated 1951 and conjures up everything I imagine a country cottage should be. This photo doesn't do it justice...the colours are so vibrant and sunny.

Having admired this little lady in a vintage shop for a while, I thought it was about time I bought her! I think she was originally a pomander, but there's no scent left now.

I think buttons are my favourite thing in the world! I especially like finding them on their original cards.

A little bit of 1930's glamour. The Richard Hudnut powder has never been opened.

I've always been a fan of Cath Kidston pincushions, so I treated myself to the new Union Jack design!

I was so thrilled to find this crocheted blanket at the house sale I went to on Saturday. I think it's about time I learnt to crochet myself, I've always fancied having a go.

I've no idea when I might ever wear this hat, but I spotted it in a charity shop and had to have it!

I bought a copy of John Lewis's little book of Make Do and Mend. It's full of useful advice...

... and really nice illustrations.

Happy Advent everyone!

5 comments:

hens teeth said...

Hello!
So pleased to read all about your recently acquired treasures. You have some lovely finds. I feel the same about buttons! x

A Bun Can Dance said...

Hello Katie!
Happy Advent to you!
You have found some treasures lately - the picture is so lovely - well it is ALL lovely!
I've been away and then come back to a busy week - far too busy for my liking! But like you, I am SOOO excited that December is here :-)
Happy days!
D x

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Hello Katie

I love the painting of the cottage, I can see why it had to come back home with you!
The blanket is lovely too. I took up crochet in summer and love it. I went without doing any for about 3 months. By the time I finished doing my working day then working on the house at the end of the day, I simply didn't feel like focusing on anything else. Two days ago I decided I just had to make the time for it otherwise I'd forget what I was taught. At first I forgot! Then it came back to me. It is great fun to do, I really recommend it. Choosing the yarns is part of what makes it such fun.

Have a great weekend

Warm wishes
Isabelle x

Michala Gyetvai (Kayla coo) said...

I love the powder boxes,so stylish.
My Mum has collected them for years and has them displayed in a glass case.
I wish I could crochet.

Pomona said...

Some great finds - I love the cottage painting particularly - fancy throwing that one out!

Pomona x